Skip To Content

Athabasca University

Frequently Asked Questions

What's the next available start date if I'm also applying for a student loan?

You will need to apply for your student financial assistance and submit your Loan Study Plan 3 to 4 months in advance of your intended semester start date. 

Who can help me complete a loan study plan?

Advising Services can help you to ensure you are requesting the applicable courses for your program of study.

How do I get a Provincial or Territorial Program Information Form completed by the University?

AU Financial Aid Advisors will complete your Program Information Form for you and submit it directly to your funding agency. In order to complete this form you will need to submit a Loan Study Plan four months prior to your intended study period start date.

The exception is the Form D for Northwest Territories. Contact SFA inquiry if this applies to you.

How do I get my student loan funds?

Please refer to the section titled ‘Cashing Your Student Loan’ -  Once your documents are in place, whether via the Master Student Loan Agreement or paper student loan certificate, the applicable student loan service provider will normally disburse the funds directly to your bank account by direct deposit.

How do I register for courses if I have a student loan?

Upon receipt of your student loan approval, AU Financial Aid staff will register you in your     selected courses as indicated on your Loan Study Plan. The Loan Study Plan will act as your course registration. No further registration steps will be required for you.

How do I pay my tuition if I have a student loan?

If your tuition fees are outstanding at the time AU confirms your attendance for your student loan, AU will request that the applicable tuition amount is remitted directly to the University on your behalf.

Can I change my courses?

You may change your course selections only up to the time that your loan approval and subsequent course registrations are in place. You should consult with the AU Student Financial Aid Advisor to see if this situation applies to you.

My loan is approved, can I start earlier?

Once your loan is approved the Provincial Funding Agencies do not allow revisions to the period study.  The current application and Loan Study Plan has to be cancelled and a new application and Loan Study Plan will be required.

How can I extend my courses?

Please refer to the section titled ‘Course Extensions in the Helpful Hints’ section of the Financial Aid web site.

How do I withdraw from my course(s)?

Please refer to the section titled ‘Course Withdrawals’ in the Helpful Hints’ section of the Financial Aid web site. 

What is full time status at AU?

It matters if you are applying for or receiving a Government Student Loan to attend AU. Please refer to the Financial Aid section of the Office of the Registrar web site.

What funding resources are available for students with disabilities?

Alternate funding resources may be available to you. Please see the Access to Students with Disabilities web site for information.

Updated May 16 2016 by Student & Academic Services

AU, CANADA'S OPEN UNIVERSITY, is an internationally recognized leader in online and distance learning.